Tóm tắt Đề thi Olympic Tiếng Anh lớp 5 vòng 9 đề thi số 1 năm học 2012
Chúng tôi xin giới thiệu phần trích dẫn nội dung của tài liệu đầu tiên trong bộ sưu tập Đề thi Olympic Tiếng Anh lớp 5 vòng 9 đề thi số 1 năm học 2012 dưới đây:
Chọn câu trả lời tốt nhất cho những câu hỏi dưới đây.
Lesson 0.1 Objective Words (Level 5A)
descend [di-'send] verb - to have a specific person or family among one's ancestors. Mark’s family is descended from King Henry.
stationary ['stey-shuh-ner-ee] adj - standing still; not moving; having a fixed position; not movable;. The new monk in the temple asked that the students in his class remain stationary while he spoke, but Wendy struggled with this request.
dominate ['dom-uh-neyt] verb - to control, govern, or rule by superior authority or power. Napoleon dominated the government and the military, meaning that he held supreme power in France at the time.
certainty ['sur-tn-tee] noun - the state of being certain. After studying for weeks, Jeffrey knew with certainty that he had done well on the test.
consideration [kuhn-sid-uh-'rey-shuhn] the act of considering; careful thought; thoughtfulness for others. 1. The judge showed no consideration for the defendant’s pleas, and sentenced him by the book. 2. Age was an important consideration in selecting the next CEO of the company.
quiescent [kwee-'es-uhnt] adj - being at rest; quiet; still. Caitlyn’s grandfather has a quiescent manner. After years of practice, he is able to sit for long periods of time in meditation.
acrid ['ak-rid] adj - sharp or biting to the taste or smell. Alex could not open his eyes because of the acrid smoke from the burning rubber.
marsh [mahrsh] noun - a tract of low wet land, often treeless and periodically inundated. The park consists of several large marshes, complete with alligators and other varied wildlife.
purchase ['pur-chuhs] noun - acquisition by the payment of money or its equivalent; buying. At three for a dollar, Jacob thought the trading cards were a good purchase.
1. According to Charles Darwin’s Theory of Evolution, man is _______________ from early apes. However this theory is widely contested and scientists, lawmakers, and citizens debate the subject to this day.
2. Hazel’s brakes gave out in a snowstorm, and her car skidded over a patch of ice before colliding with a _____________ car. She was grateful that no one was hurt and that there was not too much damage to either car.
3. Bruce Pandolfini coached Josh Waitzkin to the U.S. Junior Chess Championship. Josh was a natural prodigy, but he also studied constantly. When he got to the tournament, his preparation allowed him to ____________ the field. Their story was turned into the Hollywood film, “Searching for Bobby Fischer.” John Waitzkin became a respected chessplayer, and Bruce Pandolfini a renowned chess instructor.
4. Mike loves soccer and has dedicated his life to the game. As a professional referee for the national league, he knows with _____________ that on many occasions chance governs the outcome of a game just as much as the skill of the players does.
5. As a thoughtful kindergarten teacher, Helen tries to show great _____________ toward all her students. She is interested in their home lives, hobbies and interests, and the children love her for it.
6. Before the trip to Egypt, each research team attended training sessions to learn as much as possible about their destination. Each research team is also going to be _____________ with a complete archaeological tool kit for the dig, including magnifying glasses, specialized tweezers, brushes and more, so they learned about these kits as well.
7. Desert climates are very dry, and there is usually not enough water to sustain much animal life. In contrast to this environment, a _____________ is a low area with plenty of water and many animal inhabitants.
8. Many tourists who come to visit the national park are surprised to learn that Yellow Stone is actually a gigantic volcano that has remained _____________ for thousands of years.
9. The ____________ smell after the experiment in Mr. Larson’s chemistry class caused the students to vacate the entire second floor of the school. Mr. Larson was given a stern talking-to by Principal Meyers, and told he was not allowed to teach the lesson again.
10. After his credit card was stolen, Henry was relieved to learn that his bank would not hold him responsible for anything the thieves used it to _____________. The company also reassured him that they would be sending a new card in the mail within one business day.
Nội dung trên chỉ thể hiện một phần hoặc nhiều phần trích dẫn. Để có đầy đủ, chi tiết và đúng định dạng, bạn vui lòng tải Đề thi Olympic Tiếng Anh lớp 5 vòng 9 đề thi số 1 năm học 2012