Đây là một đoạn trích hay trong BST Đề thi Olympic Tiếng Anh lớp 7 vòng 5. Mời tham khảo:
Chọn câu trả lời tốt nhất cho những câu hỏi dưới đây.
Study the following words and then answer the questions. (2 points per question)
Lesson 0.1 Objective Words (Level 7B)
reimburse [ree-im-'burs] verb - to make repayment to for expense or loss incurred. Since Joey was responsible for breaking the vase, his parents told him that he would need to reimburse Cody's family for the item. Fortunately, it was a very inexpensive vase.
burly ['bur-lee] adj - large in bodily size; stout; sturdy.Joshua had been very skinny in high school, but as he got older he started going to the gym all the time. Now he has a very burly body and he weighs almost twice what he did in his younger days.
blight [blahyt] noun - any cause of impairment, destruction, ruin, or frustration. The blight of Christie's personality was that she always thought of herself first. Even when someone was having a special celebration like a birthday party, Christie thought she needed to be the center of attention.
debut [dey-'byoo] noun - a first public appearance on a stage, on television, etc. Marty was all set to make his debut as office manager. He had earned the new position through years of hard work and dedication to the company, and he was confident that he would perform well.
gross [grohs] adj - indelicate, indecent, obscene, or vulgar. Matthew was sent out of his science class for making gross, disruptive comments while the other students were trying to listen to the lecture.
limber ['lim-ber] adj - characterized by ease in bending the body; supple; lithe. Although he had just started his new stretching routine, Tony could tell that he was already becoming more limber. He also became less sore after going for a run.
clarity ['klar-i-tee] noun - clearness or lucidity as to perception or understanding; freedom from indistinctness or ambiguity. Many of the other guest speakers had been confusing and longwinded, but Dr. Hathaway's presentation was marked by clarity. All the students were able to understand the subject matter completely.
skimp [skimp] verb - to provide for or supply inadequately; be stingy with. It was very important to medieval cultures not to skimp on the defenses of their cities. By building extensive motes, walls, and guard towers, citizens were able to ensure they could defend against invaders.
leeway ['lee-wey] noun - extra time, space, materials, or the like, within which to operate; margin. We got to the train station early, so our teachers gave us a bit of leeway and told us we could explore the station for half an hour
1. Little Gina made her ____________ on stage when she was three years old. She had shown an interest in the performing arts since before she could talk, and she later went on to join the dance team at her college. Although she will probably never pursue a career as a professional dancer, Gina plans to open a dance studio where she can instill the love of performance in other young students.
A. leeway B. variation C. debut D. fulfillment
2. Unlike most of his skinnier friends, Rob was a ____________ young man who spent a lot of time lifting weights, riding bikes, and eating foods that would give him more muscle mass. In fact, he eats a peanut butter sandwich every night before going to sleep. He says that he can feel the sandwich making him bigger while he dreams of steak, sports, and feats of strength.
A. gaunt B. slim C. burly D. slender
3. Xavier and his family were headed to the mall, and it promised to be an exciting day. First, they were going to stop by Banana Republic so that Xavier could pick out some new clothes for the coming fall weather, and then they were going to stop for a bite to eat in the food court. Although there were many other things on the day's _______________, Xavier really hoped that he would get a chance to visit the arcade at some point.
A. clarity B. agenda C. blight D. inventory
4. Although the overall quality of Ben's presentation was very good, some of the content he had chosen to include was far too _____________ for the classroom. In fact, one of the slides in his Powerpoint presentation made Jenny Caruso cry all over her textbook. Ben hadn't intended to upset anyone; he just had a tendency to include outrageous material in his projects because he didn't want them to be boring.
A. gross B. burly C. limber D. decorous
5. After her warm-up stretching routine, Brenda always felt very _______________ and ready to perform with her ballet team. This particular night was going to be special, though, because both of her parents were going to be in the audience. Brenda's father is a neurosurgeon, and he often has to spend so much time in the operating room that he doesn't get a chance to catch his daughter's performances.
A. rigid B. stiffened C. burly D. limber
6. Dr. Mitchell was always easy to understand during her biology lectures. Even though some of the subject matter she was covering was very complicated, she felt that it was important to speak with ______________ so that all of her students could keep up. It is probably this dedication to teaching in an effective way that influenced the administration's decision to award Dr. Mitchell a raise and a large office in the corner of her department's building.
A. blight B. clarity C. dirtiness D. complexity
Để xem đầy đủ tài liệu này, quý thầy cô và các em học sinh vui lòng download bộ sưu tập Đề thi Olympic Tiếng Anh lớp 7 vòng 5
và xem thêm các tài liệu khác. Chúc quý thầy cô giáo giảng dạy hay, các em học tập tốt.