Chúng tôi xin giới thiệu phần trích dẫn nội dung của tài liệu đầu tiên trong bộ sưu tập Đề thi Olympic Tiếng Anh lớp 8 vòng 5 đề thi số 1 năm học 2013 dưới đây:
Chọn câu trả lời tốt nhất cho những câu hỏi dưới đây.
Study the following words and then answer the questions. (2 points per question)
Lesson 0.1 Objective Words (Level 8B)
enterprising ['en-ter-prahy-zing] adj - ready to undertake projects of importance or difficulty, or untried schemes; energetic in carrying out any undertaking. Since Billy and his friends were such an enterprising bunch, they decided to open a small lemonade stand to make some extra money during the summer.
incognito [in-kog-'nee-toh] adv - with the real identity concealed. Batman and Robin, probably two of our culture's most famous comic book heroes, have to go incognito when doing their heroic duties. If the public of Gotham City were to know their real identities, they would be in great danger at all times.
veer [veer] verb - to change direction or turn about or aside; shift, turn, or change from one course, position, inclination, etc., to another. I think we should take the short cut if we plan on making it to the banquet on time. Veer left up here and look for a small road with a big red barn next to it.
rubble ['ruhb-uhl] noun - broken bits and pieces of anything, as that which is demolished. After the hurricane, Benny walked through the streets of Annville and was absolutely astonished at the amount of rubble strewn about. He decided to volunteer with the cleanup effort.
durable ['door-uh-buhl] adj - able to resist wear, decay, etc., well; lasting; enduring. Although Joan was not terribly excited about the way her new work uniform looked, she did have to admit that all the fabric seemed very durable.
avow [uh-'vou] verb - to declare frankly or openly; own; acknowledge; confess; admit. Even though all the citizens avowed their mayor as a great man, they were still curious about why he had taken a three week vacation in the middle of a crisis.
gingerly ['jin-jer-lee] adv - with great care or caution; warily. When Christian looked down and saw a beautiful little frog taking a swim in the stream, he reached down gingerly to pet the creature's back. Christian had never enjoyed any part of science that hurt nature or animal life.
detriment ['de-truh-muhnt] noun - loss, damage, disadvantage, or injury. The biggest detriment to Barry's attempts to study for his test was his loud neighbor in the downstairs apartment. The inconsiderate guy was always blasting music at top volume.
banter ['ban-ter] verb - to speak to in a playful or teasing way. Alicia liked to banter with her friends about their fashion choices. For instance, when Hilda wore a bizarre new outfit, Alicia asked, "Are you trying to look like a Roman soldier or something?"
1. After two hours of listening to his coworkers complain about various things, Jim decided it was time to ____________ the discussion in a new direction. He brought up some issues about the budget, and then he told Sarah that she was going to be in charge of the new Branson account. Everyone felt much better after the subjects of conversation had changed, and the group even decided to go out to a movie after the meeting.
A. go direct
2. As Gaius approached the recently attacked village, he could see smoke rising up from each home that had been set on fire. It made him very angry to see what the marauders had done to his friends and family. While walking through all the ____________ in the streets, Gaius vowed to avenge what had happened that day. He got on his horse, took a drink from his tankard, and rode off on his mission.
3. Marty's laptop computer is so ____________ that even after he spilled a cup of coffee on it, it still worked perfectly. What's more, one time he dropped it down an entire flight of stairs on a school trip, and it still seemed to be in perfect working order. I think that when Christmas time rolls around this year, I might ask my parents to get me the same kind of computer; at least I know it won't break!
4. Mayor Abernathy ____________ before the entire crowd that he would do everything in his power to reduce the crime rate in the city. The number of muggings and assault charges had risen steeply in the past few months, and no one could figure out why. "I plan to first solve the city's unemployment problem, and then I will beef up our local police force. If that doesn't work, maybe we can just hire Spider-Man to clean up our town," the mayor told them, ending with a joke to lighten the mood.
5. Abraham Lincoln has become a(n) ____________ figure in American history because he led the country during such an important time in its development. He commanded the loyalist states during the Civil War, and later he put into effect the legislation that officially ended slavery in the United States. It is very fortunate that we have had such great leaders to help shape the character of our nation.
Để xem đầy đủ tài liệu này, quý thầy cô và các em học sinh vui lòng download bộ sưu tập Đề thi Olympic Tiếng Anh lớp 8 vòng 5 đề thi số 1 năm học 2013
và xem thêm các tài liệu khác. Chúc quý thầy cô giáo giảng dạy hay, các em học tập tốt.