Đây là một đoạn trích hay trong BST Đề thi Olympic Tiếng Anh lớp 8 vòng 7 năm 2012. Mời quý thầy cô và các em tham khảo:
Chọn câu trả lời tốt nhất cho những câu hỏi dưới đây.
“The Political ‘Army of Salvation’ ” cartoon from “Puck,” March 31, 1880
1. Based on the cartoon above, why was President Grant depicted as “The Savior”?
A. He defeated the Confederacy during the Civil War.
B. He prevented economic disaster during Reconstruction.
C. He promoted the United States in international affairs.
D. He authored the 14th Amendment.
2. What is the purpose of the march shown in the illustration above?
A. to get religious groups to support Grant’s bid for office
B. to prevent Grant’s opponents from denying him a military pension
C. to re-elect Grant as president of the United States
D. to show how supportive all Americans were of Grant
I am tired of fighting. Our chiefs are killed... He who led the young men is dead. It is cold and we have no blankets. The little children are freezing to death. My people, some of them have run away to the hills and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death. I want to have time to look for my children and see how many I can find. Maybe I shall find them among the dead. Hear me my chiefs. I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."
--Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce, upon his
surrender to the U.S. government troops,
3. Based on the statement above, why did Chief Joseph finally decide to surrender to the U.S. government troops?
A. because the U. S. government accepted his request of stopping the war
B. because he was tired of fighting and his people were suffering from the war
C. because he and his people were given enough land to live a good life
D. because France was supporting the U.S. government troops
4. The cartoon above suggests that one reason the United States declined to join the League of Nations was the
A. belief that the financial costs would be too high.
B. claim that other organizations were in place to protect United States interests.
C. concern that it would be ineffective because too few nations would become members.
D. fear that it would result in the United States losing the authority to set its own policies.
5. What contribution by Henry Ford allowed the automobile to become more accessible to Americans in the 1920s ?
A. He lobbied the federal government to subsidize the industry.
B. He produced safer cars with revolutionary engineering designs.
C. He developed factories outside the country to reduce production costs.
D. He pioneered new production methods which included the assembly line.
6. October 24, 1929, is commonly known as “Black Thursday” because of the
A. Stock Market Crash
B. Teapot Dome scandal
C. election of President Hoover
D. collapse of the banking system
7. In 1863, Congress admitted West Virginia to the Union. What was one issue that led to the creation of West Virginia?
A. Plantation owners in the western Virginia specialized in tobacco.
B. Many people lived in the western Virginia.
C. People in western Virginia developed a social and economic life different from eastern settlements.
D. Western Virginia shared economic and social interests with the South.
8. Pearl S. Buck is best known for her contributions in which of these fields?
9. According to the information above, what conclusion can be drawn regarding the role of third parties in the American political system?
A. Third parties provide additional support for ideas proposed by major parties.
B. Third parties develop new ideas that are often adopted by major parties.
Quý thầy cô giáo và các em học sinh cùng tham khảo toàn bộ BST Đề thi Olympic Tiếng Anh lớp 8 vòng 7 năm 2012
bằng cách đăng nhập vào Website eLib.vn nhé!