Đề thi vào lớp 10 môn tiếng Anh 2007 - Đề số 1
A. PRONUNCIATION (10 POINTS).
I. Choose the word (A, B, C or D) that has the underlined part pronunced differently from the others in each group. (5 points)
1. A. crop B. concern C. conserve D. protect
2. A. conserve B. advertise C. perfect D. reverse
3. A. cities B. workers C. series D. satellites
4. A. food B. good C. tooth D. tool
5. A. although B. without C. thank D. these
II. Choose the word (A, B, C or D) whose main stress pattern is not the same as that of the others. (5 points)
1. A. cartoon B. open C. paper D. answer
2. A. manage B. shortage C. village D. teacher
3. A. remain B. convenient C. volunteer D. memorable
4. A. maintain B. marine C. challenge D. device
5. A. important B. community C. organize D. diseases
B. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR (40 POINTS).
I. Choose the best answers to completes each sentence. (10 points)
1. The stolen jewels were ________ a lot of money.
A. valued B. cost C. priced D. worth
2. ________, after trying three times, he passed the examination.
A. Lastly B. Last of all C. Last D. At last
3. I don’t see any________ in arriving early at the theatre.
A. cause B. point C. reason D. aim
4. The children loved ________ the old castle.
A. discovering B. exploring C. hunting D. detecting
5. This is the oldest building ________ the village.
A. of B. by C. in D. to
6. These figures show a ________ in the number of unemployed people in England and Wales.
A. loss B. lessening C. reduction D. lowering
7. ________ scientists have observed increased pollution in the water supply.
A. late B. later C. Latter D. Lately
8. After he had broken his leg, Henry could only go up and down stairs ________.
A. hardly B. in difficulties C. with difficulty D. hard
9. You will have to ________ your holiday if you are too ill to travel.
A. put off B. cut down C. put out D. put up
10. At four o’clock Mr Hutchinson still had some ________ to do in the garden.
A. work B. job C. effort D. task
II. Give the correct form of the verbs in brackets. (10 points)
1. This is the first time I (read) ________ a novel (write) _________ by an American novelist.
2. The stereo (play) ________ since 6 pm. I wish someone (turn) ________ it off.
3. The new students hope (include) ________ in many of the school’s social activities.
4. He wore a false beard (avoid) ________ (recognize) ________.
5. (Write) ________ the letter, she put it carefully in an envelope.
6. If you don’t hurry, all the tickets (sell) ________ by the time we (get) ________ there.
III. Fill in the blank with a / an / the. Put an where none is required. (5 points)
1. My father has just bought me _______ LG computer.
2. _______ whale is _______ mammal, not _______ fish.
3. We are going to _______ tea with _______ Smiths today.
4. _______Titanic, one of the most famous ocean liners, sank on its first voyage across _______ Atlantic.
5. For centuries, _______ buildings were made of _______ stones.