I. Objectives unit Celebrations
By the end of the lesson , Ss will be able to :
- Develop such reading micro-skills as scanning for specific ideas and guessing meaning in context .
- Use the information they have read to discuss the topic
II. Materials unit Celebrations
Textbook , handouts
III. Anticipated problems unit Celebrations
Ss may not have enough vocabulary to talk about the topic , so should be ready to help them .
IV. Procedure unit Celebrations
Competition game – Network
- T prepares a handout with a crossword puzzle of some festivals and celebrations in Vietnam and the world .
- T divides the class into small groups of 3-4 students . Then T gives each group a handout to do their own groups . Which group finishes first and has all the correct answers will be the winner .
- A variant of this activity : T draws or prepares two big copies of the crossword and hangs them on the board . T calls two pairs of Ss to go to the board and ask them to do the crossword as quickly as possible . The pair with the quickest and most correct answers will be the winner
- T introduces the topic of the Unit
BEFORE YOU READ
Discussing Tet holiday
- T asks the whole class to look at the picture on page 90 and discuss the three questions in pairs .
- T goes around to offer help
- T calls on some Ss to present their answers and eclicts commemts from other Ss . T gives feedback if necessary .
Suggested answers :
1. It is Spring and it should be Tet holiday because we can see the apricot blossom and a kumquat tree full of ripe fruits
2. The people in the picture may be a family . The grandmother is giving her nieceand nephew some lucky money . The girl , the boy and their parents may be wishing their grandparents good health and happiness .
3. In the picture we can aslo see a five – fruit tray on the ancestral altar(mân ngũ quả trên bàn thờ tổ tiên )and a dish of fruits , a tray of candied fruits and a banh chung on the table .
- now Ss work in pairs to tell which of the activities in the book they enjoy doing most at Tet . Ss may also list other activities they like doing at Tet . T reminds Ss to give reasons for their answers .
- T calls on some Ss to present their answers and other Ss comment .
WHILE YOU READ
Setting the scene
You are going to read a passage about Tet holiday in Vietnam . While you are reading , do the tasks in the textbook
* TASK 1
Instruction : Find the meanings of the words . You can also use your dictionary .
- T writes these words on the board :
Grand , banner , sugared apples , agrarian , pray , excitement
- Then T instructs Ss to read the passage quickly and stop at the lines that contain these words to guess their meanings .
- Ss guess the meaning of the words based on the contexts in the sentences . For example , to guess the meaning of grand (line 1 , first paragraph ) Ss may base their guessing on other words such as main holiday , important . To guess the meaning of pray (line 6 , last paragraph ) they pay attention to pagoda , happy year ...
- T checks that Ss undertanding by asking them to provide the Vietnamese equivalents to the words . If Ss find it difficult to guess the meaning of any word , T should elitict and give suggestions
Suggested answers :
1 . grand : impressive and larger : trọng đại , hoành tráng
2 . Banner : a long piece of cloth with a message on it that is carried between two poles or hung in a public place to show support for sth : biểu ngữ , băng rôn
3 . sugered apples : táo dầm đường
4 . Agrarian : connected with farming and the use of land for farming : thuộc về nông nghiệp
5 . Pray : to speak to God .especially to gove thanks or ask for help : cầu nguyện
6 . Excitement : the state of feeling excited : niềm vui thích , sự nô nức nhộn nhịp
* TASK 2
Instruction : You are to read the passage and decide whether the statements are True (T) or Fasle (F)
- T instructs Ss to use some strategies to do task :
+ first , quickly read through the statements to get an idea about the topic
+ Read the first statement more careffly . Underline the key words to understand the main point . for expamle , in statement 1 , Ss can underline Tet , 20th February , Western calendar .
+ Search for the section of the text which deals with the idea or fact.
+ Once finding the relevant section , read it careffly . If the statements is smililar to the imformation in the text , then select “True ” . If the statement is the opposite to the imformation in the text , then seclect “Fasle ”
+ Continue with the rest to the statements
- T asks Ss to work invidually to do the task and discuss their answers with their peers .
- T calls one some Ss to give their answers and asks them to explain their choices .
- T gives the correct answers :
1. F (it falls between 19th January and 20th February )
2. F (it’s just for agraian people )
4. F (according to the passage , lucky money tends to be given to children )
* TASK 3
Instruction : You are requored to answer the seven questions in the book .
- T checks if Ss can answer the comprehension questions in TASK 3 wtithout to read the passage again . If Ss cannot , t gets them read the questions careffly and gives them some tips to do the task :
+ First , skim the six questions to undertand them . As Ss do this they :
* underline the key words . For instance , in questions 1 Ss can underline when , Tet , vietnam
* decide what information they need to find in the text
* look for questions words like “why ” which indicates Ss should read for specific thing like a reason .
+ Go back to the first question and locateds the information for the question by finding the key words in the passage and mark the place .
+ Read the part carefully to find the answer . Ss can use their own words .
+ Continue with the rest of the questions
- T asks Ss to word individually to do the task , then discuss their answers with their peers
- T calls on some Ss to write their answers on the board and ask them to expain their choise
- T gives the correct answers
1. It sometime between 19th January and 20th February (line 2-3 , paragraph 1 )
2. Tet’s preparations and celebrations used to be speard over months (line 1-2 ,paragraph 2 )
3. They are decirated with coloured lights and red banners (line 3-4 .paragraph 2)
4. They buy gifts , clean and decorate their houses and cook traditional foods (line 4-5 ,paragraph 2 )
5. It is made from sticky rice ,green beans and fatty pork (line 5-6 .paragraph 3)
6. must is candied fruit (line 6-7 ,paragraph 3)
7. Visiting friends and other family members , exchangeing whises , going to the padoda , playing games ...(last paragraph )
AFTER YOU READ
- T asks Ss to work in groups tp tell each other about their last Tet holiday .T asks Ss what verb tense (past simple ) they should use .
- T goes around to help Ss when necessary .
- When all groups have finished , T calls on some Ss to report their ideas to the class .
- T elicits corrective feedback from other Ss and gives her own commets
- T summarises the main point
- T asks Ss to learn by heart all of the new words and do the extra exercise as homework