I. Objectives unit Endangered species
1. Educational aim:
- Students read and guess the meaning of words in contexts.
- They read and answer questions about the texts.
- They practice scanning for specific information in the texts.
- Finding supporting evidence .
- General knowledge: Ss know some endangered species are plant and animal species
- Language: Common knowledge of environment,…
- New words: Words related to the topic (endangered animals,plants....)
- Guessing meaning in context, scanning for specific information and passage comprehension.
II. Method unit Endangered species
Integrated, mainly communicative.
III. Teaching aids unit Endangered species
Picture, board, chalks, textbook, handouts,…
IV. Procedure unit Endangered species
Warm-up: (5 minutes)
- Aims: to introduce the topic of the lesson and to raise students' interest.
- T hang out some pictures in and asks Ss to answer the questions.
1. what do you see in the pictures?
2. Which of them are in danger of becoming extinct?
Before you read : (7 minutes)
- Ask students (to work in pairs) to open their books, look at the pictures, and do the tasks that follow.
+ Which of the animals and insects below can be found in VietNam?
+ Which of them are in danger of becoming extinct?
- Ask them to work in 3 minutes,
- Teacher moves round to help if necessary.
- Ask some pairs to report .
- Give some remark if necessary
- Pre-teaching vocabulary:
+ To Endanger (v)
+ Destructio (n)
+ Drainage (n)
While you read: (23 minutes)
- Ask students to look through the passage and read in silence
- Help students read the passage
- Explain pronunciation and meaning of new words which appear in the passage
* Task 1: (3 minutes)
- Ask students to read through the text once to find out some new words, guess the main idea.
- Explain new words (give the Vietnamese equivalents),.
- Ask students to work individually in 5 minutes to do this task.
- Guide students to read through the passage , then focus on only the sentences surrounding the suggested words to do the task effectively.
- Give students some more words that may be new/ unfamiliar to them.
- Guide the students to read the word in chorus and individually.
- Give correct answers
* Task 2: (4 minutes)
- Ask students to read the passage again and choose A,B,C,D to complete the following sentencesabout the reading passage
- Ask them to work individually to do the task and give the evidence to prove the keys.
- Move round to make sure that all students are working and to help them if necessary.
- Ask some students to report and give feedback.
* Task 3: (6 minutes)
- Ask students to read the passage again then work in pairs to find evidence in the passage to support these statements
- Walk round the class to give help if necessary.
- Give suggested words, phrases or useful suggestions.
- Correct the students’ work.
After you read : (8 minutes)
- Ask students to work in group to scan the text again.
- Ask them to work in small groups of three or four to summarise the reading passage by writing one sentence for each paragraph.
- Encourage them to summarise the reading passage.
- Ask one or two pairs to report.
Ask Ss to do exercises at paage 65-68 in the students’workbook.