I. Objectives unit Cultural diversity
1. Educational aim:
- Students read passage comprehension about role of cultural diversity
- Students know how to use the new words through asking and answering
- General knowledge: Through this unit, students know more about cultural diversity
- New words: Words related to the topic( culture, society....)
- Guessing meaning from context
- Summarizing main idea
- Passage comprehension
II. Method unit Cultural diversity
Intergrated, mainly communicative
III. Teaching aids unit Cultural diversity
Board, tape, cassetteplayer, chalks, textbook and notebook
IV. Procedures unit Cultural diversity
Warm-up: (4 minutes)
- Ask students to list out the factors that create a happy life
- Let students work in pairs
- Ask students questions
- Lead in: Today, we’ll study a new lesson Unit 2- part A :Reading
Pre-reading: (7 minutes)
- Ask students to work in groups of four and guess what are happening in the picture. Hang on the blackboard the table of the questions to help students to guess the activity in each picture:
- Which of the following factors is the most important for a happy life ?W hy ?
- Love, money, parents’ approval, a nice house,a good job, good health...etc.
- Ask the representatives of the groups to express their ideas in front of the class.
- Give the feedback
+ Pre-teach some new words
- precede (v) - counterpart(n)
- confide(v) - sacrifice (v)
- Ask students to read up in chorus twice.
- Ask students to guess the meaning of the new words.
+ Introduce the situation of the passage
+ Show students the tasks of the reading
While-reading: (20 minutes)
- Make the class read the small talks, to scan the details and do the tasks
* Task 1 :
Ask students to read the passage in skim to make sure the meaning of the words.
- Call some students to show the meanings
- Ask students to read the passage again and do the task in groups of four
- Call on some students to read the answers in front of the class.
- Ask students to read the sentences with the words given
* Task 2
- Ask students to work in groups of 8 to answer the questions given.
- Call on some students to show the class the right answers
- Listen to the students and help them if neccesary.
Post-reading: (12 minutes)
- Ask students to work in groups to discuss about the question :
- What are the differences between a traditional Vietnamese family and a morden Vietnamese family ?
- Give some suggested words to talk about a family :number of children, the house they like to have, the head of the family , who works , who takes care of the housework and children , the income...
- Call on some representatives on the groups to talk about the differences
- Do reading text in workbook
- Prepare the next lesson