Unit 11 lớp 11: Sources of energy-Language Focus
Bài học Unit 11 lớp 11 "Sources of energy" phần Language Focus giới thiệu phát âm một số âm khó trong Tiếng Anh và hướng dẫn điểm ngữ pháp về mệnh đề quan hệ được thay thế bằng V-ing, V-ed và nguyên mẫu có "to".
Mục lục nội dung
1. Pronunciation Unit 11 lớp 11
Listen and repeat (Nghe và lặp lại)
Practise reading aloud these sentences (Thực hành đọc to những câu sau)
1. They were all shrieking with laughter.
2. He shrugged (his shoulders), saying he didn’t know and didn’t care.
3. My dad hates shrimp paste.
4. What a splendid spring day!
5. The stream splits into three smaller streams at this point.
6. The house has a narrow front, but it splays out at the back.
2. Grammar Unit 11 lớp 11
2.1. Exercise 1 Unit 11 lớp 11
Rewrite the following sentences, using a present participial phrase
(Viết lại câu, sử dụng cụm hiện tại phân từ)
1. The boy who is playing the piano is Ben.
2. Do you know the man who is coming towards us?
3. The people who are waiting for the bus in the rain are getting wet.
4. The scientists who researches the causes of cancer are making progress.
5. The fence which surrounds our house is made of wood.
6. We have an apartment which overlooks the park.
Guide to answer
1. The boy playing the piano is Ben.
(Cậu bé đang chơi đàn dương cầm là Ben.)
2. Do you know the man coming towards us?
(Bạn có biết người đàn ông đang đi về phía chúng ta không?)
3. The people waiting for the bus in the rain are getting wet.
(Những người đang chờ xe buýt trong mưa đang bị ướt.)
4. The scientists researching the causes of cancer are making prouress.
(Các nhà khoa học mà đang nghiên cứu về nguyên nhân gây ung thư đang có tiến triển.)
5. The fence surrounding our house is made of wood.
(Hàng rào bao quanh nhà chúng tôi được làm bằng gỗ.)
6. We have an apartment overlooking the park.
(Chúng tôi có một căn hộ nhìn ra phía công viên.)
2.2. Exercise 2 Unit 11 lớp 11
Rewrite the following sentences, using a past participial phrase
(Viết lại câu, sử dụng cụm quá khứ phân từ)
1. The ideas which are presented in that book are interesting.
2. I come from a city that is located in the southern part of the country.
3. They live in a house that was built in 1890.
4. The photographs which were published in the newspaper were extraordinary.
5. The experiment which was conducted at the University of Chicago was successful.
6. They work in a hospital which was sponsored by the government.
Guide to answer
1. The ideas presented in that book are interesting.
(Những ý tưởng được trình bày trong quyến sách đó rất thú vị.)
2. I come from a city located in the southern part of the country
(Tôi đến từ một thành phố ở phía nam của đất nước.)
3. They live in a house built in 1890.
(Họ sống trong một căn nhà được xây vào năm 1890.)
4. The photographs published in the newspaper were extraordinary.
(Những bức ảnh được xuất bản trên tờ báo này rất đáng kinh ngạc.)
5. The experiment conducted at the University of Chicago was successful.
(Cuộc thí nghiệm được tiến hành tại trường Đại học Chicago đã thành công.)
6. They work in a hospital sponsored by the government.
(Họ làm việc ở bệnh viện được chính phủ tài trợ.)
2.3. Exercise 3 Unit 11 lớp 11
Rewrite the following sentences, using an infinitive phrase
(Viết lại câu, sử dụng cụm nguyên thể)
1. John was the last man who reached the top of the mountain.
2. The last person who leaves the room must turn oil the light.
3. The first person that we must see is Mr. Smith.
4. This is the second person who was killed in that way.
5. The first person who catches the ball will be the winner.
Guide to answer
1. John was the last man to reach the top of the mountain.
(John là người cuối cùng lên đến đỉnh núi.)
2. The last person to leave the room must turn off the light.
(Người cuối cùng rời khỏi phòng phải tắt đèn.)
3. The first person for us to see is Mr. Smith.
(Người đầu tiên mà chúng ta gặp là ông Smith.)
4. This is the second person to be killed in that way.
(Đây là người thứ 2 bị giết cùng một kiểu như thế.)
5. The first person to catch the ball will be the winner.
(Người đầu tiên bắt được quả bóng là người chiến thắng.)
3. Practice Task 1
Choose the best answer (Chọn câu trả lời đúng)
1. Nellie Ross of Wyoming was the first woman ______ governor in the United States.
a. who elected b. to be elected
c. was elected d. her election as
2. Pioneers, ______ in isolated areas of the United States, were almost totally self-sufficient.
a. who living b. living c. lived d. that Iived
3. Completed in 1756, Nassau Hall is the oldest building now ______ on the campus of Princeton University..
a. standing b. it stands c. has stood d. stood
4. Jerome Kern's most famous work is Showboat, ______, most enduring musical comedies.
a. it is one of the finest
b. of the finest one
c. the finest one
d. one of the finest
5. ______ in large quantities in the Middle East, oil became known as black gold because of the large profit it brought.
b. which was discovered
d. That when discovered
5. Neil Armstrong, ______ person to set foot on the moon, reported that the surface was fine and powdery.
a. the first b. to be the first c. was the first d. as the first
6. The Massachusetts State House, ______ in 1798, was the most distinguished building in the United States at that time.
a. completing b. which was completed
c. was completed d. to be completed
7. Lady Astor was the first woman ______ her seat in Parliament.
a. take b. to take c. taking d. who takes
8. Norman Weiner, ______ mathematician and logician, had an important role in the development of the computer.
a. who as a b. was a c. whom a d. a
9. War and Peace, ______, was published in 1869.
a. Leo Tolstoy's most celebrated novel
b. that is Leo Tolstoy's most celebrated novel
c. which most celebrated novel of Leo Tolstoy
d. is a Leo Tolstoy's most celebrated novel
4. Practice Task 2
Replace the relative clauses by an infinitive or infinitive phrase (Thay thế mệnh đề quan hệ sau bằng cụm từ nguyên thể hoặc không nguyên thể)
1. He was the first man who left the burning building.
2. The last person who leaves the room must turn out the lights.
3. The child is lonely; he would be happier if he had someone that he could play with.
4. Here are some accounts that you must check.
5. My brother is the only one who realized the danger.
6. The Queen Elizabeth is the largest ship which has been built on the Clyde.
7. We had a river in which we could swim.
8. She said that she wasn't going to buy any cards; she hadn't anyone to whom she could send cards.
9. Neil Armstrong was the first man who walked on the moon.
10. The fifth man who was interviewed was entirely unsuitable.
Qua bài học này các em cần ghi nhớ điểm ngữ pháp sau
Relative clause replaced by participles and to-infinitive (Mệnh đề quan hệ được thay thế bằng hình thức phân từ và động từ nguyên mẫu có "to")
- Relative clause replaced by participles (present and past participles)
- Present participles (Hiện tại phân từ): được dùng khi động từ trong mệnh đề quan hệ ở dạng chủ động
The boy who is climbing on the wall is Ben.
⇒ The boy climbing on the wall is Ben.
We have a house which overlooks the park.
⇒ We have a house overlooking the park.
The man who spoke to John is my brother.
⇒ The man speaking to John is my brother.
- Past participles (Quá khứ phân từ): được dùng khi động từ trong mệnh đề quan hệ ở dạng bị động
They are living in the house which was built in 1980.
⇒ They are living in the house built in 1980.
- Relative clause replaced by to infinitive phrase
"to infinitive" được sử dụng ngay sau: the first, the second,... the last, the only và hình thức so sánh nhất
Yuri Gagarin was the first man who flew into space.
⇒ Yuri Gagarin was the first man to fly into space.
The last person who left the room must turn off the lights.
⇒ The last person to leave the room must turn off the lights.